Al-Muayyad Sheikh Mosque
This impressive monument was built in the 15th century (1415-1422) by the architect Muhammad Ibn Al-Qazzaz for the Mamluk ruler Al-Muayyad Sheikh. It is considered to be one of the last large-scale mosques built in the Mamluk style and has great historic significance. Like most of the monuments in Historic Cairo, the structure has suffered the depredations of time, rising groundwater, uneven settling and the environmental stresses of existing in one of Cairos densest, most busy districts. An extensive restoration/conservation plan was put into effect in 2000 and is currently on-going.
Our scope of work included:
- Architectural survey and documentation
- Site survey and structural slope monitoring
- Photographic and video documentation